Permanent Part-Time Victim Service Worker Position
North Kootenay Lake Community Services Society is seeking a unique, inspiring, caring individual to join our team in beautiful and vibrant Kaslo, BC. We are seeking a Permanent Part-Time Victim Service Worker) to fill the roles of Victim Services Worker (16 hours per week) and Safe Home Coordinator (4 hours per week). There is a strong possibility of an additional 7 hours per week as Local Coordinator for the Safe Kids and Youth (SKY) coordinated response program available, subject to ongoing funding.
The goal of the Victim Services Support Worker is to provide emotional support and Justice System related support to victims of family or sexual violence, victims of crime or victims of trauma.
This will be done by:
- Providing high quality, ethical, client-centred services to victims of intimate violence, sexual and physical assault, criminal harassment or childhood sexual abuse,
- Informing clients on the availability of services
- Responding to critical incidents by providing initial incident defusing, incident stabilization
- Liase between victims and police, justice, emergency or hospital personnel
- Responding to hospital call outs
- Accompaniment of victims, where desired and possible, through the police, medical and court systems.
- Appropriate referrals to other local services or services in other communities as appropriate.
- Providing information to victims on their rights under the Victims of Crime Act.
- Responding to crisis, case management calls and drop-in clients.
- Assisting clients with safety planning.
- Providing practical and emotional support
- Providing information and referrals, where appropriate
- Networking, Public Awareness and Education
- Providing Services in Family Court related matters.
- Maintaining current knowledge of issues related to intimate violence, physical and sexual assault, especially as it pertains to the criminal justice system
- Establishing and maintaining a positive working relationship with the RCMP and with other community-based and RCMP based victim’s assistance programs.
The Safe Home Coordinator position is shared with another counsellor (4 hours each) and supports clients in accessing a safe house in the area.
A more complete job description is available on request.
Education and Experience
Social Work degree or other post-secondary education in a related field or equivalent in training and experience.
- Professional development (recent or ongoing) in victim’s services and crisis intervention
- Experience working in areas of intimate violence, abuse, sexual assault and especially working with victims and the legal and medical systems,
- Strong feminist analysis of intimate violence, sexual and physical assault and potential systemic discrimination against victims of crime.
- Completed vulnerable sector criminal record check
- Training in crisis intervention, de-escalating training and non-violent conflict resolution
- Valid Driver’s license, use of an appropriately insured vehicle
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Demonstrated presentation skills
- Effective time management and prioritization
- Able to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to foster team participation and contribute to the goals and activities of NKLCSS and community based initiatives.
- Well organized case management skills
- Ability to advocate for the needs of others when required
- Awareness of and willingness to work on personal issues as they arise
- Ability to mindful of your own experiences and how they may impact your work
- Positive attitude
- Respect for diversity
- Ability to manage change effectively
- An attitude that welcomes, respects and appreciates clients, co-workers, donors, collaborators and the greater community.
Salary grid for this position starts at 22.73 per hour.
Benefits include extended health plan, RRSP contribution, professional development allowance, clinical supervision
NKLCSS strives to maintain a warm and inviting working atmosphere.
Submit your application in confidence to: email@example.com. Only those short-listed for an interview will be contacted.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.