Thank you to all who applied. This position has now been filled.
Child & Youth Care Worker - Children & Youth with Special Needs (CYSN)
4 ½ hours per week, $18.91 per hour.
Based upon the goals established by the Ministry CYSN Social Worker and the client family, the CYSN Child & Youth Worker will provide direct goal-oriented assistance to the child and/or family. This assistance can include the development of appropriate social, life or other particular skills for the child and/or the development of child management or other parenting skills for the family.
The CYSN Child & Youth Worker will submit monthly statistics to MCFD using Sharepoint.
If you have experience working with children and youth with special needs, and/or experience with at-risk youth, please consider applying for this position. Understanding of Applied Behavioural Analysis would also be an asset.
Please submit resume to Executive Director at North Kootenay Lake Community Services Society. Fax 1-250-353-7694 or email email@example.com
The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.
Job title: Child & Youth Care Outreach Worker
Wage grid: $18.91 per hour plus vacation and benefits as defined in the NKLCSS policy manual
The Child & Youth Care Outreach Worker is an employee of North Kootenay Lake Community Services Society. The Child & Youth Care Outreach Worker will work collaboratively with the Executive Director, other program staff, the Ministry of Children and Youth with Special needs Social Worker (CYSN SW), and with the family to plan and deliver the Child and Youth Care Worker Services program.
The desired outcome of this program is that “children and youth with special needs experience optimal development, and their families have enhanced capacity to care for them.” The Child & Youth Care Outreach Worker provides “direct goal-oriented assistance to a child and/or family. This assistance can include the development of appropriate social, life or other particular skills by the child and/or the development of child management or other parenting skills by the family. It may be provided for a specific limited time, or on an on-going or intermittent basis. Service may be provided in a variety of locations in the community so as to facilitate the participation of the child and family in community activities as well as the development of specific skills”
Key Responsibilities & Expectations
- Working with an individual child or small group of children or youth in out of school settings within the community.
- Functioning as part of a team addressing case management goals.
- Devising, planning, and implementing activities which will enhance the clients’ level of future options for success at independence.
- Using various recreational and real-life experiences to provide skill acquisition in social integration, personal hygiene, appropriate play or recreation.
- Participating in activities suitable for the client’s level of function.
- Integrating clients into the community as appropriate.
- Learning to operate any devices and equipment required to work with the clients
- Treating as confidential all information relating to the clients.
- Liaising with Executive Director of North Kootenay Lake Community Services Society and the Ministry of Children and Youth with Special needs Social Worker (CYSN SW) as appropriate to problem solve or seek opportunities for the youth and their family.
- Will plan and deliver programs and will take responsibility for keeping hours within contract limits.
- Will involve clients and/or their parents and caregivers in program planning
- Will write reports and evaluate progress made in meeting contract goals as required.
- Will submit reports to North Kootenay Lake Community Services Society monthly or as otherwise required.
- Will exercise the “Duty to Report” if a child in care is a risk to themselves or others or is at risk from the actions of others.
- Will follow activity or care plans suggested by other professionals when possible.
- Will adhere to policies developed by the NKLCSS Board and guidelines developed by the Executive Director.
- The Child & Youth Care Outreach Worker reports to the Family Support Counsellor of NKLCSS.
- Professional development funds available for training or additional consulting related to individual cases.
Education and work experience
- Post-secondary coursework in Child and Youth Care, Early Childhood Development, Education, Social Work or other related fields
- Experience implementing community based recreational or life skills programming
- Experience working with children or youth is essential
- Experience working with persons who have autism and/or behavioural special needs would be an asset
- Enthusiasm for working with children and youth of all abilities.
- Good verbal, nonverbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to observe and document child and adolescent behaviour
- Ability to work independently with efficient time management skills.
- Ability to work professionally, collaboratively and respectfully with youth and their families as well as with community and agency personnel.
- Reliable, consistent, and mature.
- Patient, non-judgmental, and interested in helping others.
Conditions of Employment:
- Clean driving abstract and reliable vehicle
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Current First Aid/CPR Certification (or to be obtained within three months of hire)