These links are to services outside of North Kootenay Lake Community Services Society. We have no responsibility for any content on them.
- DIY Feminist Cybersecurity - helpful tools and strategies that allow you to take greater control of your digital life and mitigate the risk of malicious threats
- Kootenay Boundary Searchlight - For children and youth dealing with mild anxiety, depression, eating disorders, substance use, or suicidal thoughts, Kootenay Boundary Searchlight can help link you to the right services in the Kootenay Boundary region.
- www.kasloareadep.com/ - Information about local emergency events in Kaslo & Area D: services, preparedness, management, mitigation and recovery.
- www.SeniorsBC.ca - a place for all older adults in the province to find resources for planning and living a healthy and active life as they age. Seniors’ families and caregivers will find great information here too.
- www.gov.bc.ca/elderabuse - Elder abuse in any form is wrong. Unfortunately, some seniors suffer from abuse and neglect, sometimes from caregivers or family members. Learn more about how to recognize elder abuse, prevent it and how to stop it.
- Be More Than a Bystander — The “Be More Than a Bystander”, campaign is a program of the Ending Violence Association of BC and the BC Lions Football Club. It is working to increase the safety of women and girls by raising awareness about how the actions of bystanders can help prevent violence and abuse. Check out the 8 new videos on You Tube. More information on the program is available at http://wp.endingviolence.org/prevention-programs/be-more-than-a-bystander/
- KidSport Nelson - No kid should be left on the sidelines. Registrations and equipment costs can be financial barriers that sometimes prevent kids from participating in organized sport. That’s where KidSport can help.
- Stars for Success - Stars for Success is a program that provides funding for families that need help to enroll their children (up to their 6th birthday) in recreation, art, sport and early learning programs.
- Community Services Directory - A searchable database of social services available in the Kootenay Boundary Region. Can be searched by name of agency or by type of service. Very comprehensive.
- Kids Help Phone for teens - info and phone numbers for teens seeking help.
- Kids Help Phone for kids - info and phone numbers for kids seeking help.
- Youth Space - anonymous, moderated, safe online chats, forums, and resources for anyone under 30 years of age.
- Mind Check - Do you ever wonder? This website is designed to help youth and young adults in British Columbia check out how they’re feeling and quickly connect to mental health resources and support. Support includes education, self-care tools, website links, and assistance in connecting to local professional resources.
- Your Life Counts - YLC’s first priority is to offer immediate attention to people who are at risk for suicide, providing counseling and support to those who are suicidal and for suicide survivor loss families.
- Safe Kids BC for teens - BC’s child abuse prevention website for teens.
- Safe Kids BC - for anyone looking for information and resources on preventing child abuse in BC
- Youth in BC - YouthInBC.com is a program of the Crisis Centre. It connects youth with support, information and resources.
- INSYNC - web page to help youth find good information about self-injury and to understand more about how it relates to them.
- Suicide Info for Youth - Information for youth, parents, and professionals about suicide.
- Centre for Suicide Prevention - workshops and information on the prevention of suicide.
- Canadian Mental Health Association - Learn how to take care of your mental health. Get the facts about mental illness. Find help for yourself or others.
- Canadian Mental Health for youth - information on mental health issues for youth
- The Advocacy Centre, Nelson - The Advocacy Centre is a non-profit, community-based organization which provides legal information, education and problem solving for low-income residents of the Central Kootenays.
- Playground Safety - Some tips from a playground equipment manufacturer on how to ensure a playground is safe for your children to use.
- Kaslo Transit System - Local bus service to Nelson and around Kaslo as well as the Slocan, Salmo, and Nakusp buses.
- West Kootenay Volunteer Driver Program - Provides a daytime, Monday to Friday, Volunteer Driver Service for citizens of Trail, Castlegar, Nelson , Kaslo and surrounding area who, for very specific reasons, are unable to access public or private transportation to attend medical appointments or visits to care centers. The service is intended for essential, non-emergency appointments only.
- Dial-a-Law - Dial-A-Law is a library of free legal information in BC, prepared by lawyers. It has practical information on over 130 legal topics in BC. You can learn about legal rights and responsibilities, and the legal system. Dial-A-Law transcripts are offered in English, Chinese and Punjabi. Scripts are also available online in digital audio format. Dial-A-Law is available in two ways: Telephone: 604.687.4680 or outside Greater Vancouver call 1.800.565.5297 or visit their Website: www.dialalaw.org
- Lawyer Referral Service - This service is designed to assist the general public in finding the appropriate lawyer. The lawyer will provide up to a half hour consultation for $25 (plus tax). This interview is to find out whether or not the caller has a legal problem. If both parties agree to proceed with services, then they may do so at the lawyer’s regular fee. Telephone: (604) 687-3221 or Toll-Free: 1-800-663-1919 Website: www.lrsbc.org Hours: Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Canadian Association for Suicide Prevention - provides information and resources to communities to reduce the suicide rate and minimize the harmful consequences of suicidal behaviour. Also links for help for people who are in crisis now.
- The Site - TheSite.org is the online guide to life for 16-25 year-olds. We provide non-judgmental support and information on everything from sex and exam stress to debt and drugs. This site is from the UK so phone numbers and resource contacts may not be applicable but lots of answers to questions that is universal.
About Kaslo & Area
- Village of Kaslo - The official website of the Village of Kaslo.
- Kaslo.com - Lots of links about Kaslo and area.
- LardeauValley.com - The Lardeau Valley Opportunity Links Society at the North end of Kootenay Lake has partnered with their highspeed internet access provider K.I.N to offer an information hub to Lardeau Valley residents and visitors to the area via this newly updated website.
- Kaslo InfoNet Society - Kaslo.org is a place for communication and information sharing for the residents and visitors whose lives are enriched by this spectacular area. It's a great place to learn about the town, the activities, and the people of Kaslo.
- Community Fund of North Kootenay Lake - CFNKLS is a Community Fund that has been serving the communities of North Kootenay Lake since 2005. Through the generous donations and commitment of local community members like you, we have built an endowment of over $425,000 during that time. (Please note: The Community Fund of North Kootenay Lake is not connected to North Kootenay Lake Community Services Society.)
- Charity Village - CharityVillage is Canada's supersite for the nonprofit sector. Has more than 3,000 pages of news, jobs, resources, how-to articles, volunteer and event listings, educational opportunities, and much more.
- Kootenay Boundary Community Services Co-operative (KBCSC) - The KBCSC members are organizations that are non-profit social-service-providing agencies in the southeastern portion of the province of British Columbia, in an area generally known as the Kootenays and including the adjacent Boundary Region.