Part-time Employment Opportunity
Kaslo Community Services Society
Strong Start Parent and Child Time Facilitator – Kaslo and Meadow Creek
As a Strong Start Parent and Child Time Facilitator, you will plan, deliver and evaluate developmentally appropriate activities and experiences to create a high-quality early learning and family-centered program for children aged 0-6 and their parents or caregivers.
Preferred qualifications and skills:
• Early Childhood Education (ECE) certificate, willingness to study for ECE certification, or relevant education in the Human Services field.
• Strong knowledge and awareness of age-appropriate programming and developmental needs of young children
• Ability to work professionally, collaboratively and respectfully with children and their families as well as with school, community and agency personnel.
• Desire to provide family-centred services with a focus on emotional and resource supports for parents.
• Good oral and written communication skills.
• Current first aid and Food Safe certificate (training provided if needed)
• Beneficial to have a Driver’s licence and access to a reliable vehicle for work purposes.
• Criminal Record Check will be required.
• Program delivery may include in-person groups, online delivery via Zoom, creating take-home craft kits, meal deliveries to families’ homes.
• Dependent on Public Health Orders at the time of employment, applicants must be willing to wear a mask if required for working in-person; and also be able to deliver programming via Zoom if needed.
Schedule: up to 12 hours/week, with the potential of increased hours as mutually agreed upon. Preference will be given to candidates who can travel to Meadow Creek.
Please submit cover letter and resume by e-mail to email@example.com
Detailed job description on our website www.nklcss.org
This position is open until filled. Only those shortlisted will be contacted.
KCS is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage members of the BIPOC and LGBTQIA2S+ communities to apply.
Full Job Description:
Job title: Strong Start Parent and Child Time Facilitator
Last updated: September, 2021
The Strong Start Parent and Child Time Facilitator is an employee of North Kootenay Lake Community Services Society. The Strong Start Parent and Child Time Facilitator will work collaboratively with the Early Years Coordinator, Executive Director, and other program staff to plan and deliver the Strong Start Parent and Child Time Program.
The Strong Start Parent and Child Time Program shall include the following activities: 1. Organized activities such as story time and circle time with songs and rhymes
- Access to books, art materials, puzzles, and resources, etc.
- Play areas that promote creativity, imagination, exploratory individual and group play (such as water, sand, clay, blocks)
- Movement and large muscle play activities
- Snack time, with food that promotes health eating
Services are delivered in the Kaslo and Meadow Creek Family Resource Centres.
All staff will adhere to policies developed by the NKLCSS Board and guidelines developed by the Executive Director.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Plans, delivers and evaluates developmentally appropriate play-based activities and experiences for children using modeling, observing, questioning, demonstrating and reinforcing techniques. Develops programs that include indoor/outdoor, active/quiet group activities.
- Identifies the abilities, interests and needs of children and develops group curriculum based on these.
- Sets-up and cleans-up of all onsite services during program operation. Lifting and physical activity is required.
- Prepares or supervises preparation of all snacks, coffee, tea, etc., for program participants.
- Recommends referrals or additional services to parents based on their needs or work in consultation with professionals in the community.
- Communicates with Early Years Coordinator concerns or changes needed to deliver services based on best practice.
- Ensures a healthy and safe environment in which the children and parents can interact. Identifies and removes potential hazards.
- Takes an active role in welcoming clients and visitors to the Centre. Develops positive rapport with all families including families with greater vulnerabilities and children who require more support with their behavior. Models positive discipline strategies with parents.
- Practices and models respectful communication with participants from birth through to adulthood.
- Communicates with families about children’s growth and development. Requests input from and participation of parents in the development of programs.
- Ensures all required registration forms and attendance sheets are filled out by program participants.
The Strong Start Parent and Child Time Facilitator reports to the Early Years Coordinator of NKLCSS.
The Strong Start Parent and Child Time Facilitator may supervise volunteers and Childminders.
Education and work experience
- Education in Social Work, Child and Family Development or Early Childhood Education or related fields is an asset.
- Minimum 2 years related experience and or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Strong knowledge and awareness of age appropriate programming and developmental needs of children.
- Experience working with children, parents, school personnel and community partners is essential.
- Good understanding of Strong Start and Family Resource Centre philosophy and best practice principles.
- Enthusiasm for working with parents and children with diverse backgrounds and abilities.
- Physical ability to set-up and remove resources and equipment in a variety of settings.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with efficient time management skills.
- Ability to work professionally, collaboratively and respectfully with children and their families as well as with school, community and agency personnel.
- Reliable, consistent, and mature.
- Patient, non-judgmental, and interested in helping others. Additional Information:
Conditions of Employment:
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Current First Aid/CPR Certification appropriate to the age of the populations being served (e.g., Child Care emergency first Aid or the Child Care Standard First Aid)